Designed in 1928 by the architect Jacques Greber, the swimming pool (along with the adjacent tennis court, croquet lawn and boules court) was built at the behest of the Countess Anna Laetizia Pecci-Blunt. The idea was to create a dedicated sports area in a modern style in areas not subject to historic building restrictions.
The swimming pool featured a powerful system – still present today – to heat the water. A series of illustrious individuals such as the artist Salvador Dalì (photo 1) and the writer Alberto Moravia (photo 2) whiled away carefree days by the pool or played croquet.
The unusual Art Nouveau changing rooms, wooden diving boards and bright colours are particularly striking. This colour scheme is mirrored on the recently-restored benches and on the six mooring posts on the lake at the southernmost point of the park.