The Villa del Vescovo (Bishop’s Villa) takes its name from the fact that it was built in the 16th century on the remains of a preexisting ancient building belonging to the diocese of Lucca. A particular characteristic of this building is the remarkable conservation of the medieval layout. In the 18th century, during the reign of the Archbishop Bernardino Guinigi (1723 – 1729), a square internal staircase was added, opening onto the first floor via a loggia. Only at the end of 1811, at the behest of Elisa Bonaparte Baciocchi, the building was integrated into the park of Villa Reale. The renovation of the Villa del Vescovo was carried out respecting the original architectural plan, whilst creating a court residence and a place of study accommodating a camera obscura, a physics laboratory and a library, linked by Napoleon’s study area. The current residence consists of a solid building with a group of avantcorps structures, which face onto a groundlevel terrace through a triplearched portico. It is the only example of a Lucca residence which has an internal courtyard with an irregular layout, probably due to the shape of foundations and walls of the previous building.