The Lake is an important part of the Park’s ecosystem, and one of the key attractions for a visit to the Villa.
In addition to its aesthetic value, the lake has a practical function, to enable the watering of the gardens during the hotter months.
When the Fraga stream dries up, a pump system activates, bringing water from the valley to the north end of the park.
History of the Lake
Situated on the east side of the Park, the artificial lake was one of the first projects that the Pecci-Blunt family entrusted to Jacques Gréber, in 1924. The architect also created the stream which winds through the woodland, dividing to create a droplet-shaped island before feeding into the lake.
The area around the lake suffered heavily during the terrible storm which hit the Lucca area in 2015. In just a few hours, numerous ancient trees were blown down. Following this devastating event, the new owners of the Villa decided to embark on an ambitious redevelopment plan for the park, planting over 1,000 new trees, shrubs and flowering plants.
The three marble statues of Vulcan, Hercules and Demeter, however, managed to resist the winds and still overlook the lake, their forms reflected in the water.